Table of Contents
The inaugural Zona Music Festival 2022 at Margaret T. Hance Park in downtown Phoenix kicks off the weekend of Dec. 3 and 4 with headliners Beach House, Portugal. The Man, Bleachers and Japanese Breakfast.
Tegan and Sara were originally set to co-headline Saturday but canceled two days out when Sara Quin got “bitten by the COVID bug,” as the duo tweeted.
Another of the weekend’s most anticipated sets − Waxahatchee and Kevin Morby performing together − was canceled on Saturday due to COVID-19. Follow azcentral.com’s live blog for the latest updates all weekend long.
In the 22 years that event producer Psyko Steve Presents has been promoting concerts in the Valley, founder Stephen Chilton has always placed a premium on bring local talent to the stage.
And that’s certainly true of Zona Music Festival, which features Upsahl coming off her first headlining tour, Black Carl reuniting just for the occasion and Sydney Sprague fresh from a national tour with Jimmy Eat World and Dashboard Confessional.
Other acts with local ties include Miniature Tigers, Playboy Manbaby, Phoenix Afrobeat Orchestra, Glixen, Diva Bleach and Pariah Pete.
Here’s everything you need to know about Zona Music Festival 2022.
Zona Music Festival 2022:Live updates all weekend from Hance Park in Phoenix
When is Zona Music Festival?
The inaugural Zona Music Festival takes place the weekend of Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 3 and 4.
Doors open at noon, with music starting at 1 p.m. The festival will end each day at 11 p.m.
The box office will open at 11 a.m. Saturday and Sunday at the festival or you can grab your passes early at The Pemberton, 1121 N. Second St. in downtown Phoenix, in the days leading up to the festival so you don’t have to bother with that kind of thing on game day.
The off-site box office will be open from 5-8 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 30, and Thursday, Dec. 1, and 3-10 p.m. Friday, Dec. 2.
Only the original purchaser can pick up the order. No alternate names allowed. A valid photo ID, order number and the credit card used to place the order are required.
Everything you need to know about Zona:The new music festival downtown Phoenix needed
Where is Zona Music Festival?
Zona Music Festival will take place at Margaret T. Hance Park, 1218 N. Second St, Phoenix.
The main entrance is near the intersection of Second and Portland streets.
Zona Nights events and side shows will take place before and after the festival at Crescent Ballroom, Valley Bar and Rebel Lounge the weekend of the festival, with shows headlined by Phantom Planet, AJJ, Black Carl, Sundiver CA and Teen Daze in addition to an Electric Feels indie-rock dance party and EmoNightPhx.
Full details on Zona Nights performances are available at zonamusicfest.com/zona-zine/zona-nights.
Super Bowl:Rihanna Halftime Show 2023: Here’s everything we know so far
Zona Music Festival tickets
Single-day passes are $89 a day.
Weekend passes are $175.
Children younger than 8 are admitted free.
VIP packages are $349 for the weekend or $175 a day.
The VIP experience includes an exclusive entrance; a wristband with an RFID chip for cashless purchases; re-entry if you decide to wander off; preferred viewing area; exclusive bars and lounges; private restrooms; and heaters, charging stations and other amenities.
More festival news:Super Bowl brings Bud Light Music Fest 2023 to Phoenix. Here’s what we know so far
Zona Music Festival 2022 schedule
Saturday’s bill is topped by Beach House and Bleachers.
The other acts performing Saturday, in alphabetical order, are Aviv, Bartees Strange, Brainstory, Chicano Batman, Cowgirl Club, Destroy Boys, the Garden, the Happy Fits, the Happy Return, Jackie Hayes, July Talk, Miniature Tigers, the National Parks, Pariah Pete, Phantom Planet, Playboy Manbaby, Pom Pom Squad, Sales, Snailmate, Sub Urban, Sydney Sprague, Tatiana Crespo and TV Girl.
Sunday’s bill is topped by Portugal. The Man and Japanese Breakfast.
Sunday’s lineup also features Beach Goons, Black Carl, Boyish, Breakup Shoes, Chloe Lilac, Diva Bleach, Flor, the Front Bottoms, Glixen, Hhharpies, Horse Jumper of Love, Luna Aura, Jeff Rosenstock, Lucius, Madilyn Mei, Mothe, Phoenix Afrobeat Orchestra, the Red Pears, the Regrettes, Sad Park, Sasami, Sitting on Stacy, Turnover, Upsahl and Waxahatchee & Kevin Morby.
More concert news:All the latest concert announcements for metro Phoenix
Zona Music Festival Saturday schedule
There are four stages, each one named in honor of an Arizona music legend: Stevie Nicks, Linda Ronstadt, Charles Mingus and Duane Eddy.
Here’s a look at the Saturday schedule:
- 12:55 p.m. Sydney Sprague on the Nicks Stage
- 1 p.m. Tatiana Crespo on the Mingus Stage
- 1:25 p.m. Pariah Pete on the Ronstadt Stage
- 1:30 p.m. Jackie Hayes on the Eddy Stage
- 2 p.m. Sub Urban on the Mingus Stage
- 2 p.m. Bartees Strange on the Nicks Stage
- 2:35 p.m. The National Parks on the Ronstadt Stage
- 2:40 p.m. The Happy Return on the Eddy Stage
- 3:20 p.m. The Garden on the Nicks Stage
- 3:20 p.m. Sales on the Mingus Stage
- 4 p.m. Phantom Planet on the Ronstadt Stage
- 4:45 p.m. TV Girl on the Nicks Stage
- 4:45 p.m. Aviv on the Eddy Stage
- 5:10 p.m. The Happy Fits on the Mingus Stage
- 5:45 p.m. Miniature Tigers on the Ronstadt Stage
- 5:50 p.m. Brainstory on the Eddy Stage
- 6:40 p.m. Destroy Boys on the Mingus Stage
- 6:45 p.m. Bleachers on the Nicks Stage
- 7:10 p.m. Snailmate on the Eddy Stage
- 7:30 p.m. Playboy Manbaby on the Mingus Stage
- 8:15 p.m. Chicano Batman on the Ronstadt Stage
- 8:20 p.m. Cowgirl Club on the Eddy Stage
- 9:15 p.m. Beach House on the Nicks Stage
- 9:15 p.m. July Talk on the Mingus Stage
More:Portugal. the Man singer thought he’d never sing again. How that inspired their new album
Zona Music Festival Sunday schedule
Here are Sunday’s set times:
- 12:30 p.m. Glixen on the Mingus Stage
- 12:30 p.m. Diva Beach on the Nicks Stage
- 12:55 p.m. Pom Pom Squad on the Ronstadt Stage
- 12:55 p.m. Madilyn Mei on the Eddy Stage
- 1:25 p.m. Chloe Lilac on the Mingus Stage
- 1:25 p.m. Breakup Shoes on the Nicks Stage
- 1:50 p.m. Flor on the Ronstadt Stage
- 1:50 p.m. Sitting on Stacy on the Ronstadt Stage
- 1:55 p.m. HHHarpies on the Eddy Stage
- 2:25 p.m. Jeff Rosenstock on the Nicks Stage
- 2:25 p.m. The Red Pears on the Mingus Stage
- 3 p.m. Mothe on the Eddy Stage
- 3 p.m. Flor on the Ronstadt Stage
- 3:35 Turnover on the Nicks Stage
- 3:35 p.m. Beach Goons on the Mingus Stage
- 4:15 p.m. Horse Jumper of Love on the Eddy Stage
- 4:15 p.m. Upsahl on the Ronstadt Stage
- 5 p.m. The Front Bottoms on the Nicks Stage
- 5 p.m. Sasami on the Mingus Stage
- 6 p.m. The Regrettes on the Ronstadt Stage
- CANCELED: 6 p.m. Waxahatchee & Kevin Morby on the Ronstadt Stage
- 6:10 p.m. Luna Aura on the Eddy Stage
- 7 p.m. Japanese Breakfast on the Nicks Stage
- 7 p.m. Black Carl on the Mingus Stage
- 7:55 p.m. Boyish on the Eddy Stage
- 8:15 p.m. Lucius on the Ronstadt Stage
- 8:55 p.m. Sad Park on the Eddy Stage
- 9:10 p.m. Phoenix Afrobeat Orchestra on the Mingus Stage
- 9:15 Portugal. The Man on the Nicks Stage
Interview:Todd Rundgren reflects on what made David Bowie such a genius — and why he lost interest
Where to park near Hance Park
There is no parking provided by the venue.
Downtown Phoenix offers more than 25,000 parking spaces. In addition to public garages, there are numerous parking meters, which are enforced every day including weekends and holidays from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Meters are $1-$1.50 per hour.
You can reserve a parking space at spothero.com.
Interview:How Perry Farrell of Jane’s Addiction is prepping for the imminent redemption of the world
Transportation to and from Zona Music Festival
There are multiple Valley Metro light-rail stations near the festival. The nearest is at Roosevelt Street and Central Avenue.
There are nine park-and-ride locations offering a total of 3,636 parking spaces. Valley Metro Rail park-and-rides are free. All park-and-rides are monitored by security cameras, security officers and municipal police officers. Parking for more than 24 hours is not permitted at Valley Metro Rail lots; violators are subject to ticketing and/or towing.
Lyft, Uber and taxis are also available.
Bike racks are available outside the festival grounds near the main entrance at Second Street and Portland. Bikes are not permitted on the grounds.
More concert news:Lizzo is playing a Footprint Center concert in Phoenix. Here’s when and how to get tickets
What to know about your RFID wristband
When you buy a weekend pass for ZONA Music Festival, you’ll receive a cloth wristband good for entry on both days with an RFID chip that allows for a cashless experience. Load your wristband with money and scan it to pay for drinks and merchandise.
Wristbands can be activated in advance at zonamusicfest.com/activate.
Do not overtighten your wristband. The festival recommends that you do not remove your wristband for the duration of the festival. What you do on Monday is your own call.
Wristbands should have shipped by now unless you bought your ticket in mid-November, in which case you will need to pick it up at the box office.
Once your order has been shipped, a tracking number will appear on the Order Details in your Purchase History on SeeTickets.us. If you do not receive your package within three or four days of the event, email [email protected].
There is a $20 replacement fee for lost or damaged wristbands available through [email protected].
More festival news:M3F festival in Phoenix has announced its 2023 lineup. Here’s what you need to know
Zona Music Festival is a cashless event
When you register your wristband for the festival, you will be able to link a credit card to your wristband for use at all bars, food vendors, merchandise areas and more.
For more info on how to link a credit card to your wristband for use at the festival, visit zonamusicfest.com/activate.
Where can I stay near Zona Music Festival?
The Renaissance Downtown Phoenix Hotel is are offering a special rate for attendees of ZONA Music Festival attendees. Hotel amenities include a fitness center and restaurant.
Click here to book a room.
Zona reentry policy
Reentry is prohibited unless you have a VIP pass.
Zona refund policy
If the festival is rescheduled, your passes will automatically be honored at the new date. Should you be unable to attend the new date, refunds will be offered within 30 days of the announced rescheduled date.
If the festival is canceled, your passes will be refunded through the Zona ticket vendor. Zona cannot verify the policies of third-party ticket resellers.
Is there a Lost and Found at Zona Music Festival?
Yes, there will be a Lost and Found near the main entrance.
Will there be medical services on site?
Yes. Medical stations will be clearly identified near the southeast corner of the festival site (Second and Moreland streets).
Will there be drinking water?
Yes. There will be free refill stations inside the festival.
What items are prohibited at Zona Music Festival?
The following items are prohibited:
- Air horns or noisemakers
- Cigarettes, e-cigs, vapes
- Drugs or drug paraphernalia
- Glow sticks or LED gloves
- Illegal substances
- Knives, firearms, pepper spray, fireworks
- Large chains, chain wallets, or spiked jewelry
- Laser pens/pointers
- Markers, pens or spray paint
- Selfie sticks
- Weapons of any kind (including toy weapons, guns, ammo, pocket knives, tasers, pepper spray/mace, etc.)
- Unauthorized/unlicensed vendors. No unauthorized solicitation or materials including handbills, flyers, stickers, beach balls, samples, etc.
- Any wheeled device, powered or not; i.e., skateboards, wagons, bicycles (with the exception of ADA mobility devices)
- Hula Hoops
- Tents, umbrellas larger than 3 feet in diameter, canopies or shade structures of any kind
- Professional cameras
- Cameras with detachable lenses
- Video or audio recording equipment
- Glass, cans, cups or coolers
- Large bottles. One empty 24-ounce or less transparent plastic water bottle is OK
- Large purses or bags. (Bags must be clear and not larger than 12 inches by 12 inches by 8 inches
- Mesh bags, framed backpacks, multiple pocket backpacks and any pack that is not aligned with the bag policy.
- Outside food, beverages or alcohol
- Balloons, balls, Frisbees and any other projectiles
- Stuffed animals or inflatables
- Pets (guide/service dogs OK)
Interview:Duran Duran’s Roger Taylor on how they avoided being written off in history as a teen band
Can I bring medical supplies to Zona Music Festival?
If you need to bring in medical items or supplies, identify yourself to security prior to entering the venue. Security will alert the appropriate medical staff who will provide a secure area to store all items.
Medical items that are not available for purchase on-site may be brought in. Please note that you may need to provide an official doctor’s note or prescription confirming the item’s necessity.
Patrons are subject to a search upon entry. You agree to submit to a full-body pat-down before entry by purchasing a ticket. If you would like to be screened by security personnel of your gender, notify security personnel prior to the search process.
Children will be screened with the consent of a parent or guardian.
All bags will be searched before entry. Persons who do not comply with the search policy will be refused entry.
Alice Cooper in high school. Friends and bandmates share their stories